President Maithripala Sirisena says that the commission appointed on SriLankan Airlines will commence the recording of evidence within the next two weeks.
He revealed this during a discussion held with representatives of trade unions affiliated to the airline, at the Presidential Secretariat in Colombo today (25), the President’s Media Divisions aid.
The Presidential Commission to inquire into allegations of large scale frauds and malpractices in SriLankan Airlines, SriLankan Catering Ltd and Mihin Lanka (Pvt) Ltd, during the period of January 01, 2006 to January 31, 2018 was appointed by the President, who signed the relevant Gazette Notification on February 02.
Retired Supreme Court Judge Anil Gunarathna, Court of Appeal Judge Gamini Rohan Amarasekara, Retired High Court Judge Piyasena Ranasinghe, Retired Deputy Auditor General Mallawa Arachchige Don Anthony Harald, the Director General of the Sri Lanka Accounting and Auditing Standards Monitoring Board Mrs. Wasantha Jayaseeli Kapugama were appointed as the members of the Commission.
Accordingly, the new Commission will look into the following irregularities in the relevant companies.
- Monetary allocations, loans, shares, investments and other finances from the Treasury, Central Bank, People’s Bank, Bank of Ceylon or any other financial institution.
- The establishment, operation and cessation of Mihin Lanka (Pvt) Ltd ,
- The reasons for the termination of the agreement entered between the SriLankan Airlines and Emirates Airlines, which is the international Airlines Company of the U.A.E. and its complex results,
- Entering, extending and termination of agreements to purchase of aircrafts and other assets, selling, leasing, selling and re- renting, conveyance, exchange, releasing and disposal.
- Purchase, hire, lease, charter, sale, and transfer of aircraft or any assets valued more than Rs 50 million.
- Consigning and appointing of sub agents, brokers and consultants, companies, individuals or entity to supply goods, services or any other function
- Opening, maintenance and suspension of networks and offices in other countries
- The interactions between SriLankan Airlines, SriLankan Catering and Mihin Lanka.
- Human Resource Management including selection, appointment, remuneration, promotions, transfers, employee restructuring and retirement of the Board of Directors, CEOs, Chairman and other senior management.
- Financial reporting, compliance with relevant accounting and auditing standards, and financial and operational performance and standards.